Monday 11 June 2018

Nelly

My husband just came back from his boy’s weekend. His best friend is very much at home in the world of exclusive dining and rather knowledgeable in the realms of high end alcohol. He has also taken it upon himself to educate me, so he lets my husband bring things we could never afford. Usually exquisite wine, cognac or Champagne. This time it was two bottles of rare rum....

Now my knowledge of rum only goes as far as adding it to tea in winter, or that it was a staple to a pirate’s diet. Immediately I felt transported back in time, on board a pirate ship called “Golden Nelly”. The captain (obviously. my mate) named the ship after me (think Johnny Depp with less make-up and a parrot on his shoulder, called Admiral Green). He rescued me from the clutches of the awful Captain Red Beard, who abducted me in the middle of a stormy night from my father’s Chalet, and made me scrub the boards of his ship, the “Rotten Anchor”. Naturally there was a duel, Johnny won and we fell in love at first sight.

So now I am elegantly draped on board the “Golden Nelly” over barrels of rum, made comfortable by masses of  (stolen) velvet cushions, and the pirates are entertaining me and the captain with rough pirate songs, and drinking large amounts of rum from tin pitchers. They are actually a nice bunch, when they are not killing each other, or climbing on other ships to steal, and, because I am the captain’s wench, they treat me with respect and their own kind of charm. Only Admiral Green gives me a hard time: whenever I pass by him, he croakes “give us a kiss Nelly love”. Rather irritating. I wonder where he picked that up....

But I digress.... the rum I received is certainly. not meant for tin pitchers. I suppose one serves it in tumblers made out of Waterford Crystal, which sparkles in candle light. Maybe with a single perfect ice cube, after a luxurious dinner.... Or does one serve it as an Apertitive?

The world is full of things to discover, and I am grateful for friends who help open doors to new exeperiences. I will now see whether rum and I will become friends.... And, meanwhile back on board the “Golden Nelly”, the name giver of this friendly pirate ship is wondering whether her  captain and Admiral Green would consent to her having a cat on board...😉

No comments:

Post a Comment