Wednesday 26 November 2014

Conversations

Sitting at dinner with Thomas. 

Me: So, what would you like for Christmas?
Thomas( furrowing his brow, rolling his eyes and sighing more dramatically than I ever could): Hmmm... I don't know.., actually I have everything...
Me: But surely there must be something you would like...
Thomas ( after much mumbling and more sighs): Well, maybe a new really good tennis racket...
Me: Ok, but I can't get that for you (acquiring a racket is like getting a violin bow... It has to feel right, have the correct weight, etc). You will have to get it for yourself
Thomas: hmmm
Me: isn't there anything you would just like, what you don't really need, something just for fun?
Thomas: what do you want for Christmas?
Me (lighting up like the proverbial Christmas tree): Well, remember that painting I showed you on my Pinterest page? The one I want to hang over the bed?
Thomas: (something intelligible)
Me (getting into the spirit of things): and remember that ring I told you about? The one that looks like a wedding band surrounded by diamonds? And I would truly like a little solitaire to hang on my gold chain...
(By this time, Thomas has gone  a frightening shade of grey. I notice and decide to calm down a bit)
Me: I do want a violin case which is a bit lighter and thinner..
(Relief floods over Thomas. The owner of the music shop and I had a fling long before I met Thomas and he promised me a substantial discount on a new violin case. Thomas knows all about this slight glitch in my past)
Me: and there is this wooden bread tin... You know they say bread keeps a lot fresher in it...
Me: well perhaps you can make a list of things that might make you happy..

A few days later, just before going to bed. I have just removed my face and stand in front of Thomas in my beloved, ancient, well worn nighty, full of holes in the strangest places...
Me: So what would you like for Christmas?
Thomas (places his hands on my shoulder and looks into my green eyes): World peace...

Now how am I supposed to do that? It's not as though I can order world peace from Amazon and put it in a box with a pretty ribbon around it.... But then... Maybe I can...;-)

Now the cat is much easier to please. She meowed to me that she wants a few pieces of raw organic chicken filet, followed by some cream and a tiny piece of butter :-)

Fortified by a nice cup of hot chocolate, I shall now go in search of world peace and a pretty box to wrap it in and some Christmas decorations for the house...'Tis the season to be merry after all ;-)

1 comment:

  1. You can buy christmas presents and decorations on friday at the Weihnachtsmarkt in Würzburg - and meet a lot of bloggers! :-)
    http://wuerzblog.de/2014/12/07/jubiliertes-adzfenzbloggertreffen/

    ReplyDelete