Saturday 1 November 2014

Two musicians in the forest

It was a lovely day today, the first in a long time where the sun managed to make its way through the fog. That is why Thomas and I felt inspired to go to the forest. My ulterior motive was to gather pine cones for decorations. Note to self: when searching for pine cones, go to a forest which actually has pine trees....it makes things a lot easier ;-) So, no pine cones. In fact, we were completely alone. No joggers or dog walkers, or other humans. It was very quiet,except for an occasional bird, probably telling its fellow birds about these two weird humans, one in proper walking shoes (that was obviously not me) and the other one in ballerinas and a long dress ( that was obviously not Thomas). Other than pine cones, I did hope to see some animals, maybe a squirrel or a deer, but they were apparently not there today. However, what we did see was a sign, asking us to protect the forest ants. Now I don't know what makes forest ants different to other ants, but according to the sign, they are extremely useful. Having a rather active imagination, I inmediately saw Thomas and myself dressed up as warriors, complete with flaming swords (yes I know that Halloween was yesterday), standing in front of an ant and fiercely protecting it against whatever.... I'm sure Wagner could have composed a five hour opera given this scenario ;-)

Oh well, in spite of the absence of bears, wolves, deer and squirrels, it was a very lovely walk. The sun filtered through the leaves, and everything was bathed in a soft orange light. The crunching sound of the leaves which we walked over, the hammering of the woodpeckers on the trees, and not a car to be heard.....And the forest smells...a bit mushroomy and fresh and clean....yes, it was very nice.

And the cat is presently telling me to get away from my iPad and into the kitchen to cook her some chicken. As always, she reminds me of the REALLY important things in life: food and cuddles.

No comments:

Post a Comment